Monday, September 7, 2009

Over a year?

It's amazing to think that I've had this blog for over one year now. Amazing how drastically life can change in that short a period of time. Mi familia invited me to continue the yearly trip to El Salvador for Nuevo Año. Tickets are very expensive at this point, so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to swing it, but feels good that there is the possibility for the tradition to continue.

This weekend I arranged for two coins that Mi Amor had given me to be made into pendants for me and Mi Hermana. I thought that would be a good gift for Navidad. I have very few material possessions left from Mi Amor because most of our stuff was stolen in the day between Mi Amor's death and our visit to la casa. This is difficult for me because I know the strength of my emotional attachments to my father's belongings (He died when I was two. It is my hope that La Hija will have actual memories of her father, where I have none), and I have so few items to pass on to our daughter. I have maintained that the material items are not important, because ultimately they are not. This realization does not take away the feeling of violation, nor does it make it any easier to not have any more than a few shirts to pass on.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful long weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is a loving way to pass on those shirts. Make a quilt. If you don't have enough of his shirts (even if you do) add in some of your daughters dresses and maybe a dress or two that your husband really liked to see you in. Judy

PS. It can be as simple as just 4" blocks arranged in a way that appeals to you, or nine patch blocks or as precise as mariner's compass blocks. Then add a label on the back that tells your story. The process can be very healing. Jude

aighmeigh said...

Judy, this is such a fantastic idea! I hope that I can get a few more of his shirts when I return to El Salvador and then I will begin making it. Thank you so much for the suggestion--not only would a quilt like that be great to pass on to La Hija, it would be such a comfort to snuggle up with for me as well.