Tuesday, November 4, 2008

We Are Making History...

I voted early, but I voted and therefore display the handsomely designed button of wonderfulness at the left with pride. Many thanks to Nezua at The Unapologetic Mexican for sharing his talent!

Today is an important day in American history and I made it a point to discuss the larger ramifications of this election in my classes today. Regardless of the ultimate outcome of this election, something will be radically different in our next administration: there will be a minority in one of the two of this country's highest offices. This is huge! Think about it: the 15th Amendment gave African American men the right to vote in 1870 and many remained disenfranchised until the National Voting Rights Act of 1965... women (regardless of color) weren't allowed to vote until 1920!!

Considering my political leanings, I am even more excited by how much support my candidate of choice has and how so many people of all races have rallied around a candidate of color. It warms the cockles of my cynical and sometimes hardened heart and gives me hope for the future of this country.

In class today we were serendipitously scheduled to read "I Have a Dream" and I was excited by how amazingly perfect it was. It is important to talk about race and gender in politics, and I know that my students aren't asked to think (let alone talk) about such things very often.

It was a good day and I am happy to have taken place in such an historical event... it will be something to talk with the grandkids about.

Seriously folks, get out there and vote if you haven't already. No excuses. Take part.

2 comments:

chicadedios25 said...

I voted,too.

aighmeigh said...

I'm glad! It's important to voice your desires to your government--and this elections was important on so many levels! You should be proud of yourself for participating too! :)