Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Turtle's Pace to Win the Race

I'm trying to deal with things slowly but surely so I'm not overwhelmed come December, but I realized yesterday that it's October already! What?? That fact is wonderful, of course, but it's also a bit overwhelming. We're almost half way through the semester, which means things pick up in one of my classes, end in another, and begin in yet a third. We're also planning our annual awards event at my other place of employment and I'm trying to orchestrate as much of it as I possibly can and assure my boss that everything is ready to go. I don't get to attend, as I am teaching/tutoring on the day of the event and can't really figure out a way to make it work. My boss has offered to pay me what school pays me, which takes the financial difficulty away, but I'd have to work out a tutoring sub and find something useful for my students to do. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've got a lot going on right now and that fact is beginning to manifest itself as a very tired looking, scattered woman who is fighting off some kind of nasty sickness.

La Hija and I are a chorus of seal-coughs all night long. Yum.

This morning I started working on the stove. We are living in a "1 bedroom" joint which is nothing more than a glorified studio, so the oven/stove is a small one, but it's probably as old as I am and isn't the easiest thing to clean in the whole world. I've taken care of the range and have the drip bowls soaking at present. I swear, I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't been replaced since this place was built--I know the carpet sure hasn't! I've got to get some oven cleaner so I can finish off the job.

Next job I'd like to tackle this weekend is getting some of our clothing organized. I've already got a suitcase packed with a few things for El Capitán and La Hija's sized up summer clothes and shoes. I think I may have some 3T clothes in the mix there and I need to take those out and put them aside. I can bring those back down with me after our visit next summer. I've got some of my own clothes that I can pack away now. I don't tend to dress really casually around here since I'm either in work clothes or PJs all week. I can get by with minimal hot weather casual clothes at this point. It's still in the 80s here, but it won't be for long.

Speaking of weather, it's been insane here. Mid to high 80s during the day, mid to high 40s at night. No wonder everyone is hacking around here.

Exhaustion is doing strange things to my mind. Yesterday, I had to call El Capitán to ask him why I know the word guanaco, as it got stuck in my head while I was at work. Evidently, in addition to being an animal it's a slang term for Salvadorans. Suffice it to say, without rehashing the entire bizarro conversation, he got a good laugh out of the fact that I'm getting Spanish slang stuck in my worn out noggin.

In other moving news, we've managed to save up enough money for a car and El Capitán has managed to find one that will fit our lifestyle perfectly at an amazing price. Here's hoping everything works out so he can buy it within the next few days. I'm very excited--especially because it's an automatic! Wooohooo!

(Yes, yes, I know. I should, and in fact need to, know how to drive a standard, but I'd prefer to learn at my own pace. Learning to drive standard in an already stressful driving environment would not make me into a nice person!)

No comments: